When you accept the invitation to attend an event such as a farewell party, you should:
- Find out if the person is staying close or moving farther away.
- Find out if they are retiring.
- Ask if there is a group gift.
- Select a gift that is appropriate for the occasion.
What gifts are perfect for a farewell?
- If moving close, anything to make setting up a new residence easier.
- If moving farther away, choose items such as gift cards.
- If changing jobs, something for the office is always appropriate.
- If retiring, a group gift is appropriate.
Anytime you accept an invitation to anyone’s home, you should always bring something. A food item, a bottle of wine or flowers. Don’t under estimate the power of a nice bouquet of flowers.
Have a question about proper etiquette? Don’t be shy. Ask me, I am here for you.