Remember, no one is responsible for your peace of mind or your happiness. Whatever your reason for leaving make sure you are happy and that you are ready. Others will try and interject themselves in your decision because they are narrow minded and have no idea it is not about them. News flash, just because someone leaves does not mean they are not happy with the company, it simple means they are moving on.
Saying all that, here are a few steps to take when you have decided that sometime soon you will be exiting your current situation.
- Begin to groom your replacement. Make sure that you are allowing them to get involved in major projects to ensure they can handle the next level of responsibility.
- Delegate, delegate, delegate. This is important because the show must go on after you leave.
- Declutter your computer. Remove all the non-sense and transfer all important personal documents or spreadsheets to a flash drive.
- Declutter your workspace, so that you can leave with one box.
- Always give a 2 week notice and work through the notice - meaning don't call in sick or stop showing up.
- Make sure you take the time to personally respond to all well-wishers and trade personal contact information with those co-workers you wish to continue to network with.
If you take these steps, you should set yourself up for respect as you leave. That’s what it is all about. We have all had that dream where we get everyone told off and leave with a digit in the air and wheels spinning out of the parking lot. Listen, if you want to discuss concerns and issues about the organization, request an exit interview. Word to the wise, come in with your concerns written out so that you don’t ramble and come off as just another disgruntled worker.
Sometimes you are not offered a platform to share concerns and leadership strategically tries to get you out with as little hoopla as possible. That’s okay because you are going to a bigger better opportunity. You are a Rock Star and by you leaving with class and dignity, you are already showing them what they will be missing. Go Moxie!